Saturday, September 13, 2014

Long time no blog

Hello,

So I haven't blogged in a while. I just really haven't had the time or the energy but tonight it is 5:15 AM and I am up ungodly thirsty. So I am drinking some water. So in this blog post I first want to touch on an article I read and then I will give an update on my self.

I have looked to see if I can find the article but I can not, perhaps it was taken down? Anyways it was an article posted on one of the Chiari support group's facebook pages. At first I really enjoyed it. It was by a woman who had been in a wheel chair since she was a kid/teenager and stats out talking about being okay with being disabled, accepting it and even taking pride in it. After that it goes on about how Bieber was in a wheel chair at Disney Land and got to cut lines. Then goes on about how its nice to see someone famous (at this time it was unknown why he was in a chair) using the disabled card to get in front of a line. How it makes the disabled people the cool people and such. After this the writer continues to go on how the disabled should expect special treatment, enjoy the special treatment and even somewhat make others jealous of the special treatment. The disabled should just let others do things for us even if we can do those things for our self because the disabled served it becuase they are disabled.

This bothered me and my wife quite a bit. It makes disabled people come off as someone who has a sense of entitlement and laziness. I am a firm believer that even if a person is disabled, in a chair, deaf, blind or what not the person should do everything they can while they can do it. The moment we give into the attitude of expecting special treatment and having others do things for us that we can do our selves we lose a part of our self.

With all of that said, yes there are times that a disabled person does need help and it is okay to assist them when that happens but a disabled person also needs to be independent. There is a great Golden Girls episode about this where Rose's sister is blind (played by the same lady who played Mrs Deagle in Gremlins). Also there are times when special treatment of the disabled is required such as allowing service animals into stores, movie theaters, and other places. Allowing spots for wheel chairs in movie theaters and such. But to expect special treatment when it is not necessary is taking things too far in my mind.

Okay now that my rant is out of the way... how am I doing....

At this moment I am okay I guess. Earlier today/tonight ( as in 9/12) I wasn't so great. I went to lay down about 1:30ish PM and stayed in bed until dinner was done. Laura came to get me and my body was in extreme pain and I couldn't really move, so I didn't wake up. After that I went back to sleep and woke up a few moments later unable to see or move or speak. My breathing was also getting hard to do and my heart was for lack of better words felt odd. Soon after I gained the ability to speak and the ability to somewhat see I realized I was quite thirsty so I yelled at Laura to get me some water and she did. She had to help me drink it. The kids also had to "help"..Anyways it was at this time I started to spasm and some what have a seizure. Also breathing becamerather difficult and I stopped and restarted once or twice. I didn't stop for no long length of time but yea it sucked. To be honest I was wondering if tonight was going to be the night I left this world to go be with God. Obviously by me writing this now, it wasn't.

So you may be wondering how I feel about that. Well I would of been okay if it was the end of this life. I would of been relieved. I have given great thought on death especially death from the Christian perspective. I have come to this conclusion:

Submitting to to death is not failure nor is it giving up for the believer but rather it is fully accepting the victory Christ made for us on the cross. It is just another part of the salvation process, a part that helps us reach its conclusion. It is not a bad thing for the believer.

But....
That didn't happen and now I am still here to live and toil another day.

God Bless,

Dustin

Oh yea it is Chiari Awareness Month

No comments:

Post a Comment